Do graduate students qualify for financial assistance?

Graduate students may receive unsubsidized and subsidized loans, and may also apply for external scholarships to finance their graduate education. You may view a list of scholarships on our financial assistance website.

How do I know if I will qualify for any financial aid?

Eligibility for federal assistance is determined by a student’s FAFSA information. UIW encourages all students to submit their FAFSA regardless of financial standing in order to see what a student might qualify for.

How do I submit my FAFSA?

You may submit your FAFSA online for free. If you need assistance with the FAFSA, contact our Financial Aid office at 210-829-6008.

How do I apply for external scholarships?

You may view a list of currently available external scholarships on our financial assistance website.

What if I am using Veteran’s Benefits?

You can find a description of the different benefit types and instructions on how to apply for benefits on our veteran's website. You may also contact our Veteran’s Affairs office with questions at or 210-832-2154 or 210-832-5651.

Can I meet with someone who can explain my financial aid awards to me or answer my questions about financial aid?

Absolutely! You may schedule an appointment with the graduate counselor by calling 210-829-6005 or by e-mailing You may also contact the Office of Financial Assistance at or 210-829-6008.

Glossary of Terms

Applying for financial assistance can be a challenging process, which is why the Office of Financial Assistance provides a useful glossary of terms that can help you navigate the process. You may view this on our website.